Monday, September 28, 2009

Weekend Adventures...

The internet has been down at the Centro for the last few days, but luckily it is back up and I can now blog! Yay... haha! I actually really enjoy doing this and realized that it is very necessary- I blogged last week at some point and everything after that is already quite fuzzy, but I will try to recount it for you all. Before I talk about my weekend though, I should pick up where I left off- last Wednesday. The field trip that day was quite exciting- we were allowed access into a temple that is off limits except to excavators! This temple, simply called the round temple by the Tiber, has a semi-vague history. We still don't know who it was actually dedicated to- possibly Hercules Victor, who knows. What we do know is that it was made into a church and is preserved remarkably well as a result. It is tiny but amazing! We also went to the Capitoline Museum that day- the things that we got to look at were neat, but I am looking forward to see so much more in that museum. It holds some of the greatest stuff from antiquity, but we only look at specific items pertaining to what we are studying at the time we go. We did get to see the foundations of the Temple to Jupiter Optimus Maximus (Jupiter,the best and greatest- what a name!). That was actually quite exciting... this temple was enormous- far greater than the size of the Parthenon- 200 feet on the sides. It's quite sad that it was destroyed in the 5th century CE- would have been so cool to see, I imagine. That afternoon after Latin, a few of us headed to Trastevere. We were hunting for this store that carries designer shoes for really cheap- turns out that it was a little more pricey than we hoped. We did get to stop at a pastry shop and I had my first cannoli- simply amazing! Luckily I split it with a friend- so sweet but delish! Thursday we went to the forum- one of my favorite places ever! We also had special access to a shrine to Juturna and the House of the Vestals. Though the shrine was very cool, I feel it necessary to elaborate on the House of the Vestals- it was just so neat. The house was actually preserved quite well in comparison to some of the sites we have visited, but it is really the Vestals that I find so cool. Background history- So, in antiquity, Rome had a sacred hearth with an eternal flame... fire goes out if it isn't tended to, so some time during the regal period of Rome (before the empire) vestal virgins began to take care of the flame. I guess, it could maybe be compared to something like the tomb of the unknown soldier- guarded constantly and holds much meaning. If the flame went out it was detrimental to Rome... the Romans were super serious about this too. The vestals were selected at about the age of 10 to become daughters of Rome. There were 6 vestal virgins at a time and they had to take a vow of chastity and served for 30 years. They lived in the Forum and guarded the flame- there were instances when the house burned down, but that was better than the flame going out. The virgins were whipped publicly by the Pontifex Maximus if the flame went out. They were also buried alive if they broke their vows of chastity- we have something like 37 occurences of this- it was a serious matter. Despite this, they were given tremendous perks- they got to ride in a litter, they were allowed to be buried within the city walls, and they were sacrosanct- meaning that if anyone spoke ill of them or harmed them they could be killed. I think it would be kind of cool to be a vestal. I should mention that the man involved in the breaking of the vows was flogged to death- I think, it might not have been to death but it wasn't something horrible. You have to love the Romans' forms of punishments- they really go all out. After class was over, my friends and I stayed behind and wandered around the forum- perfect day! Friday I had art history at the Church of Santa Maria del Popolo. This church is home to the infamous Chigi chapel (Dan Brown's Angels and Demons). Thanks to that wonderful piece of literary achievement we weren't able to actually see the chapel. Since the release of the movie, the chapel has been closed- lame. We did get to see some amazing Caravaggio's though. His work is beyond impressive- it is so evocative... I have to go back and take pictures (we were asked to leave at noon). Once class ended Courtney, Rachel, Kim, and I took our lunches to the Spanish steps and enjoyed the sun. It has been quite warm, but it is kind of refreshing. We wandered around, making our way to the Trevi fountain and the Pantheon- I honestly don't think I will ever get tired of seeing either. Friday night we had a night in and hung out- Project Runway and gossip :). Saturday I got up pretty early and started laundry. By 9 I was ready to go out- I have a thing for Rome in the morning. There is something about the city waking up that is just so beautifully romantic. I had planned to see the Mamertine prison, but to no avail- it was closed :(. I hope it will open soon. I also planned to go to this aqueduct park that Rick Steves informed me of. I brought my books to study and everything. The bus ride there was smooth, but once I got off the directions became really confusing. I walked forever in really uncomfortable shoes... eventually I found a park with some pretty remarkable ruins but did not see any aqueducts. Considering they are pretty huge, I have no idea where I was... on the outskirts of the city somewhere. I also forgot my water- dumb! So, I headed back. The morning was still enjoyable- there was a great view of the city from wherever I was- haha. In the afternoon I went with some friends back to the Capitoline museum. There was some heritage festival going on and some of the museums were supposed to be free- the flyer was all in Italian but apparently this one wasn't on the list. So we walked around for a bit and then headed back to the Centro. Saturday night one of my professors took some of us to this restaurant that had "the best pizza ever"- Though it was good, I would argue about it being the best. It was a lot of fun though! Despite loving Rome in the morning, there is something about the city at night that gets me. We got gelato after dinner- chocolate and strawberry for me (they look at you funny if you just get one flavor). We also went to Piazza Navona (also in Angels and Demons)... so beautiful at night! Saturday night was soooo much fun! It was nice to be out in the city at night- I love that there are so many people who just go out and stroll. Once we were back I hung out with friends but had to get into bed by 2- I planned to go to the Vatican in the morning. So the last Sunday of each month is free entrance at the Vatican-amazing! I got up at 7 and was on the bus by 7:30. It opened at 9:00 and I was in within only a few minutes, yesss! I had to do a write-up on an object for my class and figured I could find one here. Though I love the Vatican Museum, they always seem to have halls closed... the Etruscan hall was off limits on Sunday. This was made better by the fact that a hall dedicated to ancient sculpture was open. To emphasize the awesomeness of this let me tell you that one of my professors here has been 8 times to the Vatican and has not been able to get into this hall. The same story for my Latin professor... so I was super stoked. This hall houses the Augustus Prima Porta statue- one of the most important pieces of imperial propaganda that I can think of. It is a statue of Augustus- as its name implies, but it is in marvelous condition. There are even traces of the paint visible. I was able to get lots of information for my write-up and couldn't help but linger there for over half an hour- it really is that phenomenal (my friends were jealous, haha)! I visited the Sistine Chapel and then headed to St. Peter's. I'd been there once, but it is so impressive that I could visit it a thousand times and still be blown away. After I got back it was time to study... and then Thai food Sunday night. There was a pretty large group of us that went- it was sooo good! As much as I enjoy the food here, it was nice to get away from the pasta for a night. I think that's about it for now. Oh, I booked my flight for fall break with some friends- London for 3 days and Paris for 3 days! Yay!!! And my flight was only like $40, haha! Pictures-me on the Palatine Hill with the Forum in the background, class at the House of the Vestals, Rachel and I at Trevi, Augustus Prima Porta, and St. Peter's. Ciao for now!
-XOXO

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to go find Peter's Grave? Sound's' like you're having an amazing time.

    sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually we get to go to the excavation that is beneath the vatican... its really hard to get into; i emailed them weeks ago about it before i knew we where going with class and still haven't heard anything back. very excited!

    ReplyDelete