-XOXO
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Hang onto your bags and haggle like crazy...
I figure I should blog about my first weekend in Rome before I forget what I did. Its just about 5pm here now. So Friday night everyone decided to go out clubbing, but that's not really my thing so I stayed back. I should rephrase that, 30 people went out and 6 of us stayed. I ended up watching those who stayed play a board game... in the end I was quite bored and decided to call it a night after doing some study
ing (sidenote- Friday I felt a bit left out for not going out, but Saturday I was thankful I didn't. They ended up spending so much on drinks- about 30 euros a person,and they didn't even find a good club. One of the guys got so drunk he couldn't even walk and had to have someone else undress him and put him into bed.... not my idea of a fun night or morning after, and a group of drunk Americans just doesn't sound like a good idea to me). Anyway, Saturday I began having fun. I went to breakfast with two of my friends while the rest of the people were sleeping off their hangovers After that we decided to look for phones. We went to Termini, the train station in the middle of Rome, because we had heard they had cheap deals. We found phones there, but they needed our passports for the sim cards. I had been to another store earlier in the week where they didn't need passports so we headed there. It was located on the Via del Corso, one of the main streets in Rome packed with tourists and amazing stores. We got our phones and tried to decipher the Italian manual at the piazza del Popolo quite unsuccessfully. After this we grabbed lunch- foccacia, tomatoes and mozzarella made into a fantastic sandwich at their version of a fastfood restaurant which is more like a caffeteria. We headed back to the Centro after this and chilled for a while. In the afternoon I went to the store with a girl named Laura and we bought stuff to bbq. People were making burgers, but I like to play it safe and don't really eat too much meat here. The grill is charcoal and it was unbelievably hot- embers were hitting people in the face, kinda scary :/... so we made sandwiches with grilled zucchini, red pepper, tomato, and mozzarella. They were delish and really cheap! We are so doing that again. After dinner people were just hanging out and I decided to visit the Vatican with Kim. We waited for the bus for like half an hour, but we get along so well that it was fun. Once we got there we walked around and did the tourist thing- pictures. It is really gorgeous at night! I hadn't had gelatto since we've been here so we decided to get some. We fou
nd a really good place and it was the perfect ending to a really good day. We got back around 10 or 11 and I headed to bed around midnight. This morning I woke up intending to complete my homework. Mary Florence knocked on my door to invite for a spontaneous adventure- the flea market! I figured I could finish my work later (which I did) so I grabbed my umbrella and was ready to go. It's only a few minutes from here and is world famous so I couldn't resist, and it only happens on Sunday mornings. As soon as we arrived it began raining, but neither of us cared. We were looking for hidden treasures... haha. So in situations like these, you have to be very careful with your belongings because it was so packed. As we clutched our bags we pushed through the masses. With American music blasting from the vendors we examined everything that could be sold ever... it seemed. From pornography and lingerie to jewelry, cutlery, ancient coins, medallions from WWII, leather jackets, 3 euro shoes... they had it all! I had been looking for nail polish since I got here and was able
to find a bottle. We also found scarves we loved and got the guy down from 35 euros to 17... not too bad for two, and they were the best quality ones there. It was so much fun. I also saw tons of prints I would love to buy, but I figure I have plenty of Sundays yet. I have been studying since then, but think we will go out for dinner tonight. I am so looking forward to that. Breakfast was bread and an apple, lunch was crackers and cheese. It is too hard to grill in the rain and microwave meals are like 4 euro... ugh. Well talk to you soon! Here are pictures of the Vatican, the Spanish steps (I neglected to mention that we passed them yesterday) and the market. Ciao!
-XOXO
-XOXO
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment